Local Regiments

Local Regiments

Fife has a long tradition of involvement in amateur and volunteer soldiering – with units of the Artillery Militia, Rifle and Artillery Volunteers and Light Horse. Going into the war the various units had been transmogrified into the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, the Fife Royal Garrison Artillery, the Fife Royal Field Artillery, the Fife Volunteer Regiment and National Reserve.

The main Territorial Regiment in Fife was the 7th Black Watch. Until 1913 the Battalion was commanded by Sir Ralph Anstruther of Balcaskie who did more than any man "to strengthen the strong country feeling that had always existed with the Battalion" (Wauchope Vol 3 p239). He was succeeded by Colonel H M Allen. Though their initial duty at the outbreak of war was the defence of the coast at Kinghorn and Burntisland, they would eventually be sent overseas. The 7th Blackwatch also had second and third line battalions mainly deployed in the UK. 

Fife and Forfar Yeomanry Cap Badge.