Dunbartonshire Highlight 9th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in action. Between 30 April and 21 May 1915 the Battalion lost two commanding officers, most of its company officers and 75% of its NCOs and other ranks. The 9th (Dumbartonshire) Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, was a Territorial Force (TF) battalion which, at the beginning of 1914, was headquartered at Dumbarton. "A" Company recruited men from Helensburgh, "B" Company from Kirkintilloch, "C" Company from Dumbarton, "D" Company from Milngavie, "E" Company from Jamestown, "F" Company from Alexandria, and "G" and "H" Companies from Clydebank. In August 1914, the Battalion was stationed at Dumbarton, then moved to Bedford in early 1915, landing in France on 23 February 1915. During few weeks between 30 April and 21 May 1915 the Battalion lost two commanding officers, most of its company officers and 75% of its NCOs and other ranks. Between 8 am and 9 am on 10 May 1915, during the Second Battle of Ypres, the 9th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Territorial Force) was ordered to reinforce the 2nd Cameron Highlanders with two companies. Major George James Christie "A" and "D" Companies through a terrific shellfire to a position two hundred yards west of Hooge. But at 9.30 he was ordered to reinforce the trench south of the Menin Road, which was reported to be breaking. "A" Company was chosen and, led with great courage by Major Christie, they went forward in short rushes with shouts of "Good old 9th Argylls". The advance lay over a bare slope without any cover, but though men fell fast the remainder never wavered.