Maxwelltown Auxilliary Hospital
Many new hospitals were opened in Dumfries and Galloway throughout the region at the start of the First World War, and throughout, to deal with injured and convalescent patients. These were in addition to the existing hospitals, for example, the Dumfries Infirmary and the Crichton Royal Institution. Many of these additional auxiliary hospitals were large country houses or other large buildings which were converted to help those injured during the war.
Maxwelltown Auxiliary Hospital was originally a church, then a drill hall and was officially opened by Lady Cassillis on 22nd October 1914.
The image of the staff and Belgian patients outside the Hospital is interesting as it names everyone, and gives the addresses of some of the local nurses. These refugees were some of the 250,000 who arrived in Britain from August 1914 onwards following the imvasion of Belgium by the German forces.